Thursday, March 15, 2018

Pop Aye: Reviews from the Curaçao Film Festival 2017 #CIFFR

Thursday, April 6th, 2017, 21:30

Beautiful, beautiful movie. A naiveté that stole my heart and made me cry and cry in spite of the (sort of) positive ending. Or maybe it was the elephant.

No, no it wasn't.

Well, not just the elephant. Yes, I loved that pachyderm, and I loved his story, but the magic of this film resides in the narrative style. There's plenty of humor—fine, subtle, often guileless, humor—guaranteed to make you chuckle (and, if you're feeling particularly susceptible, even laugh out loud). But this is a social statement, a critique on the materialistic lifestyles we've somehow managed to convince ourselves we need. And because it is told in such a guileless way, it underlines even more harshly the redundancy of the goals we live and die by.

This is a feel-good movie. Remember to keep the tissues handy at the end, though.


6 comments :

  1. Okay, this one I'll look into.
    What can say? Elephants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephants, indeed :D Would love to hear your thoughts on this one if you do find it somewhere, Andrew.

      Delete
  2. I'm always looking for good films and this looks like one. Thank you for posting, Guilie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you particularly would love it, Sarah! It's got everything: kindness to animals, a special human-non-human relationship, questioning of what we value... It's a beautiful film. I do hope you get to watch it.

      Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. Hi Guilie - thanks for telling me about this and your review here ... I'll definitely go and see it when it comes out. Also it's an Asiatic elephant rather than an African one ... so I'll learn some more - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great...but I can’t handle it if the elephant dies. Too many die every day that it would just hurt too much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...