Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Gañá! (#AtoZChallenge 2015)

gañá!
[gah-NJAH] 

Literally: "You jest." (From the verb gaña [GAH-njah], which means deceive, joke, lie.) It's what you say when your jaw drops in disbelief.


"Is the water in Curaçao really that clear? Gañá!
I don't believe it!"

A friend is telling you about this fender bender she had on the way to work. "... So the guy gets out of his car with a freakin' shotgun!"
You: "Gañá!"
(English: NO! *jaw drops*)

You come across an obituary in the paper for an acquaintance you saw two days ago in perfect health. You'd say, "Gañá!"
(English: That can't be!)

The electrician you hired to replace a malfunctioning light switch tells you there's a problem with the entire electric installation in the house and it needs to be redone--which will take days, and cost you thousands of guilders.
You: "Ai no, gañá!"
(English: No, you're kidding. Please tell me you're kidding.)


What, that's it for this post? Ai no, gañá! I was enjoying it!

Well, okay then. A bonus word for today:

galiña

(Hint: it's probably something you eat with amazing regularity--unless you're vegan ;) )

Any ideas? Leave a comment, and come back tomorrow to see if you were right. If you were the first to comment with the right answer (or a near guess, if no one else got it right), you'll be entered to win one of three copies of The Miracle of Small Things, a collection of short stories about Curaçao coming out later this year. The winners will be announced the first week of May.



22 comments :

  1. I'm enjoying the language lessons, Guilie! Galina must be chicken - same in Italian. If that's wrong, then I will say "Gañá!"☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, Debbie! Galiña is, indeed, chicken :D In Spanish it's gallina, the double L pronounced as Y... Not sure what it is in Portuguese, but all these romance languages have (sometimes) a lot in common. You'll be added to the raffle ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and BRILLIANT example of using Gañá there!

      Delete
    3. Yes, there are definite similarities. I'm better at French and Italian than the others. According to Google, there are different words for "chicken" in Portuguese:
      chicken:
      frango, galinha, carne de frango, criação
      hen:
      galinha, fêmea de outras aves
      fowl:
      galinha, frango, galo, ave doméstica
      There's a raffle? Missed that notice. Cool! ☺

      Delete
    4. Yep... For a collection of short stories about Curacao coming out later this year :) I'll announce the winners the first week of May.

      Delete
  2. I'm guessing milk?

    I like this expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen, it's always lovely to see your name in the comments :) Ah, sadly not milk...

      Delete
  3. "Gañá" seems to be a useful word. Its counterpart in Japanese would be 'Uso!"

    Letters from the Land of Cherry Blossoms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uso--I'd never guess that one :) But I love that I know it now! Thank you foe that, and for the visit :)

      Delete
  4. I'm vegetarian, so I don't eat galina, but I did eat a lot of gallo pinto in Costa Rica and Nicaragua and I grew to love the combo of fried rice, beans & spices :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohh, gallo pinto! Haven't had that in ages! Thanks for the visit :)

      Delete
  5. I know gallina in Spanish is hen, so I'm guessing chicken!

    Somebody else guessed first, but I'm hoping my Spanish minor hasn't gone entirely to waste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know gallina in Spanish is hen, so I'm guessing chicken!

    Somebody else guessed first, but I'm hoping my Spanish minor hasn't gone entirely to waste ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has not :) Chicken is absolutely, 100% correct. Good guess, Sabina! Not sure how the guessing will work with the bonus H word... Maybe I picked an impossible one :( Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I have no idea about gallina, but I feel very knowledgeable now that I know about "gana". Awesome word! And your examples made the different uses very easy to understand. Even if I hope I don't get into some of those situations...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... Very useful indeed, Heather :) Glad you found the examples clear, but yes, I also hope you don't ever have the opportunity to use them in that context :D Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  8. Hi Guilie - I was going to say lead .. but chicken makes much more sense and you can eat that! Debbie's use of Gana .. so clever! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how you got to "lead", Hilary--creative, and intuitive. Alas, yes, it's chicken. And Debbie's "I'll say 'Gañá!'" has been cracking me up since yesterday :D

      Delete
  9. Okay, I've read the comments, but I'd say chicken anyway. Does it make any diff if it's walking around or on a plate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken is correcto, Bob! Nope, no difference. Alive, dead, filleted, in chunks and skewered--it's all galiña. (Different from Spanish, where "gallina" is specifically "hen".) Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  10. Okay, I've read the comments, but I'd say chicken anyway. Does it make any diff if it's walking around or on a plate?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like expressions like this. They are easier to mix into English to allow practice. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...